Date: 19th January 2017 at 8:49am
Written by:

Jürgen Klopp’s much-changed side are into round four of the FA Cup via the unlikely source of Lucas Leiva…

Liverpool will host Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 2016/17 FA Cup fourth round after belatedly seeing off League Two side Plymouth Argyle in their third round replay at Home Park on Wednesday night.

Kop boss Jürgen Klopp again named a largely unfamiliar side, reminiscent of that which was surprisingly held to a goalless draw at Anfield in the original tie on January 8.

Much of the contest followed a similar, uninspiring pattern as Liverpool predictably dominated a side 66 places below themselves in the football period but without carving out much in the way of clear-cut chances.

That it was such a struggle was made all the more surprising by the fact the visitors took an 18th minute lead via the unmarked head of Lucas Leiva.

The goal was the popular Brazilian’s first in over six years; dating back 2,316 days and 201 appearances to a Europa League tie against Steaua Bucharest in September 2010.

Despite Divock Origi missing a penalty midway through the second half, the outcome was never really in doubt, bar a Jake Jervis scissor kick that hit the post.

Speaking after the final whistle, a content Klopp told his post-match press conference: “We did better at the start of the game than we did at Anfield.

“In the right moments, we had good timing for direction, so after second balls players could break behind the last line. I think we should have got a penalty after the situation with Daniel Sturridge – I thought it was pretty clear, but OK, no whistle.

“[For] a lot of the young players, one of the challenges they had was playing live on television against a fourth division team and everybody thinks you are three or four classes better, and then not feeling embarrassment when you lose a challenge or something like this. I really saw it in the first half, when it started happening to them.

“At half-time, we could fix this a little bit and were kind of back in the race and controlled the game. Then, of course, with a few long balls? they did really well.

“We defended the first ball not too well, the last line, we struggled a little bit with this. They had one or two chances, two or three more difficult situations. But I heard, meanwhile, the biggest chance was offside.

“We had more chances and the penalty, so 2-0 or 3-0 would have been completely OK and would have been, for me, the perfect result. 1-0 is also good, so I’m fine.”

Liverpool will entertain Wolves in the next round on January 28.

Klopp’s men are next in action on Saturday lunchtime when Swansea City visit Anfield in the Premier League.

So that’s what both us and Klopp thought about the game, how about you? Let us know your views below…

Follow me on Twitter @superbag

At Vital Liverpool we’re always looking for contributors so if you’re an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to