Date: 14th January 2018 at 3:24pm
Written by:

The line-ups are in ahead of today’s Premier League fixture with Manchester City at Anfield…

Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp has had to contend with an unexpected blow with £75million defender Virgil van Dijk ruled out due to a tight hamstring.

Dejan Lovren, who will also wear the captain’s armband, takes his place at the heart of the defence alongside Joël Matip, while behind them Loris Karius is surprisingly preferred to Simon Mignolet in goal.

Elsewhere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain gets the nod over Adam Lallana to fill the attacking midfield role vacated by Philippe Coutinho‘s departure.

The visitors’ starting X1 shows six changes to that which took to the field in the midweek League Cup success over Bristol City.

Sergio Agüero, Fernandinho, Fabian Delph, Nicolas Otamendi, Kyle Walker and goalkeeper Ederson are the men to return.

At the time of writing, a massive 73% of Vital Liverpool users who’ve voted in our online poll predict victory for Klopp’s men. Of the remaining 27%, 21% foresee City continuing their impressive unbeaten domestic season and only 6% a draw.

The game is scheduled for a 4.00pm GMT kick-off and will be broadcast live in the UK on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League.



Liverpool: Karius, Gomez, Matip, Lovren (c), Robertson, Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mané, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Mignolet, Klavan, Alexander-Arnold, Milner, Lallana, Ings, Solanke.


Manchester City: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Delph, Fernandinho (c), Gündoğan, De Bruyne, Sané, Sterling, Agüero.

Subs: Bravo, Danilo, Mangala, Zinchenko, B. Silva, D. Silva, Diaz.



Click here to see a stats and facts preview

Click here to check out the team news

Click here to find out who will be officiating

Follow me on Twitter @superbag

At Vital Liverpool we’re always looking for contributors so if you’re an LFC fan who wants to share his or her opinion with the masses, simply email articles/blogs to liverpool@vitalfootball.co.uk